Long day at work? Kick up your heels (well, sorta), and enjoy a quick and delicious classic Italian dinner… On ME!
(No, not really… Kidding.)
But, trust me, this is one of my favorite ways to use baked chicken nuggets…
* 1 bag breaded, white-meat chicken nuggets (about 1 lb, 8 oz)
* 3 (14 oz) cans crushed tomatoes, Italian-seasoned
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 7 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or 1/4 tsp if you don’t like too much of the spice)
* Salt and pepper
* 2 cups water
* 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 4 cups whole wheat penne (about 1 box)
* 1 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese (SO much better -and cheaper- than the container stuff)
* 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
* 1/3 cup chopped basil
Bake chicken nuggets according to package directions.
Adjust oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1/4 tsp salt until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, water, 1 1/2 cups broth, and pasta. Cover and simmer, stirring often, until the pasta is tender, about 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth and Parmesan, mixing well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Scatter chicken nuggets evenly over the pasta mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Transfer the Dutch oven to the oven and cook, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and the dish is warmed through, about 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and scatter chopped basil over the top. Serve with warm, buttery garlic bread.
Did this recipe make you Smile? I would be honored if you’d become a Facebook fan of mine! Click here (or copy and paste this link into your browser: